Blighty comes to Tinseltown

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Friday and rehearsal with K. I suggested (and he agreed) that we would only rehearse the 'moments' in our scene and NOT the lines as this would free us up to concentrate on being open and available to work off each other (as we'd have to be REALLY listening to each other not waiting for cues) and be having a real conversation. Well, I had my page of moments and he had his and it worked a treat. Open, spontaneous, real - definite progress from Monday's class and it felt great. We also discussed SRs, what each of us thought about the progress of the class and ourselves and the different elements of rehearsing them. K felt that the personalisation could be skipped over but then said that he was having issues relating to the language of the SRs, the fact that they are not written in contemporary style. I told him that the whole point of the personalisation stage of the rehearsals is that, by putting the meaning and ALL the moments of the SR into your own words and making it PERSONAL, when one comes to laying the SR text on top of the meaning and the moments fleshed out and worked on in the personalisation stage, the verse is delivered with very real and human emotion albeit in a bygone style of language. That's why the personalisation stage is THE most important stage of these verses. I told him to take a HUGE swing, don't be embarrassed or self-conscious about HOW the words are coming out and don't give a toss about what anyone is thinking. It's all about YOU, for you and by you. I told him that if I become a story in anyone's future as far as they relate the time that 'the mad Brit who was in my class many years ago just leapt around like a fool or did 'this' or 'that'', I don't give a flying fart. Why should I? No-one is going to remember me as the guy who wouldn't take a chance and was worried about what people thought of me. Nope, not me, sunshine!
Watched Good Night and Good Luck in the evening. Excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home