Blighty comes to Tinseltown

Saturday, February 25, 2006


Up late. Nice relaxed breakfast. Call at 11am. Bliss.
Off to the Donner Ski Resort.
Lots of busy slopes - skiers and snowboarders of all ages, 2 and up. Not kidding. The kids are amazing. Coming down the slopes with the prowess of an Olympic Champ (not an American one, of course. Nice work at the Olympics chaps!).
Anyway, well impressed.
Basically sat in the Ski lodge until about 4pm. Very bored. But that's the job, kids!
Sit around until you;re needed. The main shoot with the skidoo and the stunt double, Jim Ripley, was taking place out of our view, halfway down the mountain on the other side.
Sounded like the shots were coming along nicely judging by the walkie chatter.
Apparently, Jim was doing an amazing job, after all he is the best board trickster in the business. He does all the work and I take the credit. That's also the job!
Anyway, we finally hear that I'm up... and this is the fun part. I come all the way to Tahoe for three days and I end up shooting.... In front of a greescreen in the car park, standing on a wooden board on top of a truck inner tube! Fantastic!
Add to that, by the time they stop fannying around and get to my shots, the Sun (that big 20K in the sky) is rapdily heading for a hillside and everyone is friggin' STRESSED. Then everyone starts arguing about how the shot should work, which way I'm facing, the camera angle, etc. The 1st AD tells them that they have about 10 mins of Sun left and there's 2 shots to get.

They roll, they call me confusing direction, I do it, they don't like it, they cut. We do it all aagin. Sun going down... We do it again. They get stressed because I'm not doing what they want. So, I jump off the board and say "I'm not a mindreader, please someone show me what they want and I'll do it" I had almost lost it. They show me, they roll and I do it. Simple really!
Sun is going behind the hill...
2nd shot and they build some apples to jump off. Key grip says he won;t be rushed. It needs to be safe. He's not going to risk me hurting myself.
They reload with faster film and orange filters to compensate for the fading light.
They shoot, I jump, they cut. We do it again.
I'm wrapped... completely. DONE!
Hugs and kisses all around.
Back to hotel.
Off to dinner. Very nice!
Off to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home