Blighty comes to Tinseltown

Friday, September 01, 2006

Class went well today. Did my 4th SR, Herbert Marshall, twice with two different questions. They went really well and T gave me an excellent. Maybe I'm getting 'consistent' which is what I want to get! I certainly understand every word, I'm able to interpret each thought and moment in my own words to show that I understand it and I'm able to perform them well. This, folks, is all good news and a MAJOR improvement to where I was two years ago, before PHW training. My understanding of how to read a scene, break it down into sections, meanings and moments and understanding character spines and scene arcs is much fuller than before too. Like many 'actors', it was so easy to read a scene and make a general assumption or decision as to what the writer meant and how it should be played. I have come to realise that nothing a (good) writer writes is there by accident. Every word 'means' something and, without some serious work on every scene, one is in grave danger of trivialising it, missing the various moments and being general and mediocre. I am not prepared to be mediocre and being mediocre does not get you work in this highly competitive market! Rehearsed with Y after class for a couple of hours and moved our scene on to the end which I'm really happy about. It's feeling good!
Off to the park with the monkey and played in the sand - you know, as you do!
Chatted to S who has a couple of days work on a CBS show which will (finally) land him his SAG card - hooray! Now he's going to move out of the 'non-union' pool of out-of-work actors into the 'union' pool of out-of-work actors! Huzzah!
Also chatted to G who has spoken to his contact at the online company interested in his 'secret' project and fixed up a meeting. The guy is incredibly excited that we're going to see them and (hopefully) work out a deal. I'm going to put together a agenda for the meeting so that they understand that we're serious and not like a majority of other writing/production teams (if G is happy to allow me to include myself in that description) - hope so!

Couple of links for today...
Fancy reading some screenplays online? See how the movies you know and love looked on the page before the film was shot. Might surprise you! It's a great site and it's free!

Think there's a lot of film festivals out there? You do? Well, you'd be absolutely right in thinking that. Do you know that there's one just for mobile / cellphones? You didn't? Well there is!

G's been searching around for a screening venue for UnconCon and this one looked pretty cool. Very reasonable too. Nice friendly atmosphere, no stress, very relaxed, very 'organic'! Just the job, methinks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home