Blighty comes to Tinseltown

Monday, July 31, 2006

Class first thing and I worked with S. We had worked out a relationship yesterday so we were able to think about it overnight, the point being that the relationship had time to work on us and give us more 'pinches' in the exercise. It went fine although T did give us the latitude to work even more on what is truthful in such a relationship and let whatever comes out, come out, as long it isn't playing any story but rather is truthful, in the moment. He then went on to give examples of some exercises in which the relationship was so 'filled out', the partners actually surprised each other by using other members of the class or appearing at the door with different clothes on or clutching items which would be truthful to a given circumstance (and the realtionship worked out with the partner) but its presence really changing any preconceived notions the partner may have had - one example being that a couple had had a fight and were maybe going to divorce and had not seen each other for three days before the start of the exercise but the door person turning up with chocolates and flowers and totally flattening any preconceived thoughts that the activity person may have had about playing out an enormous fight or a slammed door - either of which may have happened, of course, but allowing more scope for interesting pinches. Nothing that the door person had done was playing a story - rather they had added a totally different angle to the exercise.
Basically, we are learning to make our door/activity exercise more scenic and REALLY going for broke in the setting up of the relationship and the establishmen of the imaginary circumstances. Great stuff. Finally - this class work is really getting to be fun!
OK, tomorrow is my 2nd callback for SaL. Yes, folks, tomorrow is probably going to be the day which reroutes not only my next couple of years but those of my missus and munchkin. If I get the job, we going to be moving. Not too far but probably out of State. Yep! it's that big of a contract. I am listening to the soundtrack of the show as I have been for the last month and a half, several times a day, every single day. I've also assembled several alternate songs should one be called for (including my original audition song which I think is ideal and my callback song, both F&S ditties) although I'm probably going to be asked to perform the song from the show. I believe the producers of the show will be there tomorrow so it's really going to be a full audition panel, rather than the CD and her assistant. Not that there's anything wrong with just the CD and her assistant it's just that with the full panel, I really am going to be in the final few people going for the role.
Bolstered by the good news about callback No.2, I thought I'd follow up the packages I had sent out to some managers. Cut a long story short, I had 7 outrught 'No's', one guy even went as far as saying, "I have a ton of guys like you and with you age and lack of credits I wouldn't be able to give you away". Well, I guess he knows his business but I doubt he has anyone 'like me', in fact, it would be nice to go head to head with the people who are 'like me' and we'll see who walks away from an 'Act Off', shall we =). His loss. I'll send him a flyer for the show when I get it.
N.E.way, back to the tally... 7 Nos, 6 callback tomorrow/next week/next month, 3 we'll call you if we're interested when we've looked and... wait for it... 1 YES to a meeting! Quite funny actually, I called this lady and told her I was following up on an email I had sent her and she told me that she had just returned from Europe and she had a ton of stuff to go through. I said to her that maybe she'd like to skip that whole 'checking my material out' and go straight for the 'live' experience... I waited and she said 'sure'. Phew, here's a lady willing to take a risk on me because of how I am on the 'phone and the way I chatted to her without being swayed by resume or 'looks', rather she will meet me and make up her own opinion. Meeting's set for Friday. Hoorah! I hope we like each other because I'm already seriously going off this whole search for a manager thing.
Spoke to MB of MBA and although he actually returned an earlier 'phone call and he was extremely nice, he also said that the lack of credits was a block to him taking me on. BUT, he did say that he wanted to keep in touch (which I believe) and he said to look him up in February next year for a meeting to see how I was progressing.
ALso spoke to my director friend, MS who has almost finished his movie and is trying to get it colour-timed and have a rough cut ready for the Sundance subs date.
My friend Gaz is also going to submit a streamlined UC (let's hope he's cut out all the scenes that I sucked in) for Sundance and we're going to add some VO lines to accommodate a reworked script. Excellent! Can't wait!
Hum.. back to the script and dots for tomorrow. Wish me luck, dear reader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home