Blighty comes to Tinseltown

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

No movie meeting today. Seems everyone is still outta town!
Went to class. Four of us there: Erin, Alexis, Chris and myself. I worked with Erin and it went really well. Sean gave us an 'excellent'. It felt great for me. I didn't let myself be drawn into sympathy when I didn't feel it just to suit how "I thought I should feel about the situation". I need to keep this up. Be open and allow myself to be pulled any which way. NOT preconceive or try and influence the excercise to go the way I 'think' it should go.
Made a decision today about casting workshops: I don't need them and I'm not going to attend them. Full stop (period, if you like). If you are coming to Hollywood to follow a career in acting, please take my advice. Don't waste your money on casting workshops. Actually, let me go one further. There is no quick way to stardom here.
You can't come here for 6 months just to 'try it out'. It isn't going to happen in 6 months. You MUST come ready to dedicate 5-10 years to your career choice. You WON'T make it (by 'make it' I mean earn a living as an actor, i.e. pay rent, buy food etc. NOT be famous or even 'well' paid. That's NOT what I mean) if you spend any less time here. Honestly! It takes TIME to build your network, assemble your tools, learn your skills and understand how the 'industry' works here. Also you must remember that you have to LIVE LIFE whilst you're working on your career! You can't do that if you're breaking your neck trying to 'act' or 'meet people'. People can sense desparation here. Seriously. It's tangible. People can ID someone who's trying to use them to try and fast track their way to fame and fortune. Don't kid yourself. You CANNOT rush this. No-one has the golden ticket for you. It takes work, slog and dedication. No excuses, no short cuts, no kidding.
Oh, by the way, if you do think there's a short cut, one will 'MAGICALLY' appear. 'Short cuts' are in high demand, come in all shapes and sizes and cost varying amounts of money, usually lots and lots. There's an old phrase 'There's a sucker born every minute'. It's true and I think it must have been coined to refer to most of the hopefuls who turn up in Hollywood, eager to be a star. People WILL take your money, promise all sorts of wonderful things and fail to deliver.

Anyhow... went to rehearsal at the G. The show is looking great Meryl and David are doing a tremendous job. There was talk of taking the 80 minute version of the show (which we'll be doing in March) out into the amphitheatre if things go well. That would be unbelieveable. Seriously!
More New Year's resolutions....
Run a marathon this year (hummm....)
Learn conversational Spanish

Hey, want a link to free e-books and audio books? Join your local library and then sign up with www.netlibrary.com. There's a stack of fantastic stuff in there and it's all for nothing, nada, zilch.
Enjoy! That's where I'm getting my free Spanish language course. You can't beat 'free'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home