Blighty comes to Tinseltown

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Started early again today....
More pee and poop to content with. Potty training is a pain in the arse, and no mistake.
No nappies at night = stuff to clean up in the morning.
Anyway, moving on....
Had my shots for Panama today. Hep A&B, TB and yellow fever = one sore arm. Marvelous! And the cost? $345 to you, old son. I will be aggressively seeking recompense for my expenses.
Seems the ribbon cable I need for M's lappie is going to be very hard to find.
Sony didn't release those spares to the market BUT I did find a PCG-F707... in Yorkshire!! $35 and the whole thing minus the keyboard. Brilliant! Now how to I get it over here (seller won't ship overseas). Prob ask a mate to take delivery of it, carve it up for spares and ship it in a Jiffy bag. Tip top.
Made some calls for M's folder biz today. Maybe a a couple of sales to add to the mix.
Had an invite to watch the 3D dailies for the CC job.
Holy crap, they are incredible!!! And I mean, absolutely incredible!!! Being dailies of course, they are the raw, uncut, uncolourized, from action to cut dailies. No frills, no bells or whistles BUT they are in 3D and (even without sound), they are amazing. Everyone watching was very pleased. J looked fantastic. Must call and tell her tomorrow.
Still no cheque. Being Fed-ex'ed tomorrow apparently.
Thought I'd add a piece today from one of the BBC writers. Not because of the particular context, rather for the memories of Old Blighty it sets off in the old thought library...

In his diary this week, BBC Europe editor Mark Mardell discusses the British Conservatives' search for allies, rituals surrounding the sale of milk in the UK, and the reasons countries have for wanting to join the EU.

MILK RITUAL

There's been a bit of a hoo-ha about saving the British "pinta".

CLICK HERE for background story

British members of the European Parliament say the media have fallen for the oldest trick in the book: a Sunday night press release claiming something awful is about to happen.

Nostalgia (1): The milk float, the nice chap...


Lazy journalists don't bother to check the claims of the news release in case the story is not quite as good as they hope. Especially if it suits their editorial line. Both Labour and Conservatives say they saved the British pint of milk from extinction ages ago and the Parliament is just confirming their decision this week.

But I wonder how many of the journalists and editors who were enthusiastic about this campaign actually get a pint of milk delivered to their doorstep. When I was in England, I did. But I realised at the time this was largely nostalgia. I liked the rumble of the milk float, I liked the milk waiting on the doorstep, the weekly ring on the door from the nice old chap who delivered it, I liked the children rushing to answer the door, and I liked the milkman fumbling for change with his fingerless gloves. It all seemed comforting, continuity from my childhood.

Nostalgia (2): The bottles on the doorstep


But of course it was much more expensive than milk from the supermarket and that's where we got the bulk of our milk, in big plastic containers which in my mind were sold in sizes of "about a bottle's worth", "twice as much" and "who drinks all this stuff?". Whether these were actually pints, litres or the Babylonian double cubit, I neither know nor care. Any other comforting sales rituals from other countries?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home