Blighty comes to Tinseltown

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Monday... well, still loving that feeling of pre-callback reality for the HUGE audition I went to last week. Wouldn't it be great to know there's a callback for you without having to ever go to it and risk not booking the actual job? Sounds stupid? Yes, I suppose it does. It's sort of like buying a lottery ticket and waiting for the draw knowing that you've neither won or lost. After the draw, well, you normally lose so the excitement and expectation and that feeling of 'my god, wouldn't it be great if I actually won" goes away, coupled with disappointment (in the case of a callback, a 2nd or a 3rd callback, crushing disappointment). The difference is that it's my job to book callbacks and do everything I can to ultimately book the work. Simple. Sounds like crap? That's upto you to decide.
Thankfully, I have a little more control over the callback than a lottery draw. It's almost all upto me, what I do, how I am, my attitude and my talent. But, there's also an element of luck, what they think, who else turns up, do I match up with everyone else, will there be someone 'like' me? You can't think about that though, otherwise it will screw you up! Just go in, have faith in yourself, be professional, don't 'try' to be someone you think they want to see, don't 'act', show them who you are and what you can do, be 'unique' - the only thing you can be.
Anyone who knew me back home would be shocked to know that I watched the Czech Rep vs USA match in the World Cup footie. The USA were absolutely outclassed, outgunned and totally shown up. Sorry, that's the long and the short of it. Checkout any online reports of the game and I bet they'll all say the same thing. One of the funny things I did think after the CR scored the first goal was that the ESPN stats machine kicked into life about how many teams had come back to win after losing the first goal, etc., etc. Very amusing. You had to be there, I suppose....
Anyway, nothing like keeping a callback alive by going to another callback!! Yes, folks, I had another callback today for a show in Malibu at a rather well known Villa. It was for the musical director, the director and the casting director. In the two hours it took, we did individual and group singing, vocal improvisation and speeches. I was pretty relaxed through the whole thing... you really don't have a prayer if you're tense during these things! Seemed to go really well so we'll wait and see.
Missed class unfortunately. B's away anyway so I wouldn't haven't have been able to do one of my scenes anyway.
Had a call from my agent to say that I have another commercial audition for E S P N on Wednesday. The funny thing (not surprising with my agent) was that I had submitted myself for it and they get the call (that makes two out of the four I've had in three months). That means that, if I get the job, they'll get their 10%... for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! That's the pain with an agent, boys and girls. Good or bad, they take their cut! And you need to pay it to buy those magic agent details at the top of your resume. It elevates you above the cannon-fodder so I'll pay it happily!
I'm nice like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home