Blighty comes to Tinseltown

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Went off to get my second HepA&B shot (apparently there are three!). Litt'un came along to see Dad get an injection so hopefully he won't be so incredibly stressed when he gets his next one. Afterwards, on a drive down Wilshire, we happened across the La Brea tar pits. I always knew they were around here somewhere but I'd never seen them. We wandered around the park and looked at the large black puddles surrounded by chicken wire fences. No, they don't bubble or burp, they are just, sort of, there. Rather exciting actually. But, being the optimum medium for fossil preservation, they have dug up quite a few interesting things. There's also one which is being excavated so it has the wooden plank walls and the whole sh'bang. Ah ha, here's LACMA too. Never been here either so we checked it out. Super duper huge modern art sculptures in the grounds. Including "Hello Girls!" by Alexander Calder, pretty impressive. It's driven by the wind and some waterjets.
The rest of the grounds have other metal and steel stuff, most of them pretty abstract (and absurd), but then, that's art, innit! There is a series of high walkways which are on the same level as the main concourse, the shops, the coffee stand, etc. Nice and breezy to walk thru. We didn't go in, of course. $$$!
Home again and I worked the rest of the afternoon.
Watched Fantastic Four which, as you can imagine, I could take or leave. The one scene I found actually distasteful was the scene outside the sports arena which was staged, not for artistic contant or to move the plot forward (which could have been done in any setting) rather to shamelessly advertise a multitude of companies who had their HUGE ads in plain sight behind the performers. Every camera angle was to give one ad or another the best possible view. Really really sad.
Marie N dropped off her script and we chatted about the characters and their backgrounds. Looks like a great script. MN was very excited that I was helping her out, ahhhhh.
Oh, R from UTV decided to reply to my mail asking her to reimburse me for my shot by sending me an internal email meant for someone else. When I sent it back to her asking her what she meant by her phrase, she just sent me back a note saying it was a joke and that I was such an easy target.. blah blah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home