Blighty comes to Tinseltown

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Dropped off the nipper at school and headed over to a Spoon River rehearsal. The SR verses have a definite rehearsal technique (which I won't go into now as it will blow your mind if you are a non-thesp and definitely if you are a thesp but aren't training - are you serious about your career or not??) which requires you to go through a 'process' of a few different scenarios. Well, we went through them... for two hours!! Really heavily emotional (no, acting is not just about emotion but for most of these SRs, it makes up a pretty big part)interaction between us. One does, of course, ask the question 'why do we do this to ourselves' and the answer is, of course, 'because it's fun'! Yes, folks, it's fun. Gut wrenching emotion and complete (but controlled) meltdowns are the stuff of amusement to completely unhinged people like myself. How so? Well, I am now feeling that a lot of my building blocks are in place and, because I rehearse, they come a little more easily than before and I'm able to start adding on the next stages of my training... and it's starting to be fun! The ability to 'go' somewhere you need to, get there and then 'use' it while working off another actor is the stuff of enjoyment for me... finally! It's been a struggle and most days it still is but when it happens, it's great. Of course, training is important for many reasons but the one I feel is crucial is that it enables things to 'happen' on regular rather than rare occasions. Those days that you're not necessarily 'feeling it' or you've just got incredible news or terrible news and you have to 'step up', that's when the training (and your ability to utilise your 'tools' - which comes from rehearsing) steps in. Of course, that's just one way it empowers you as an actor but it's an important one. It all boils down to being able to do your job when you have to, every single time. That's what I train for. I'll never get to the end of the journey but I can use all my tools along the way while I travel along the road!
Wrote to MB of MBA and GK of AAA and also hit Sam Frenchs and bought the latest Agent and Manager directories. Need to do another mailing although with this one, I will probably only write to half a dozen agents and probably even fewer managers. I feel a very strong compulsion to be incredibly targeted with my mailings from now on.
By the way, if you're in LA and you don't have an agent or manager or you want to find a different agent or manager, you need to get these directories. No question. The information is gold and completely up-to-date. It even lists what each agency and manager is looking for at the moment... you can't target much more effectively than that, can you!
Little terror is having wonderful tantrums at the moment - I think he's possessed! No rhyme nor reason... just being 'that age' seems to explain it! Mummy cut his hair today and it's an...er...interesting style. Bless her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home